Growing watermelon is a fun activity, especially in your own yard. Watermelon is a fresh fruit and everybody loves it. If you want to enjoy watermelon without need to buy one from supermarket or fruit shop, you can grow it by yourself. Are you a beginner? This article has a lot of steps about growing watermelons for dummies!
1. Prepare the area! Make sure the area is perfect without any dirt or rocks and grass. The area with eight hours sunlight is more recommended.
2. Prepare sand and fertilizer, mix them all in one.
3. Put three watermelon seeds on the ground, make a hole with a proper depth for each seed, the space are three to four inches apart.
4. After you start planting, go ahead do watering to the seeds. It needs time to let them germinate, maybe about seven to ten days.
5. You have to remove two plants right after the seeds sprout and transfer them to alternative location or discard them.
6. This plant needs adequate watering and the rule is at least one inch of water per week.
7. In order to prevent rot, please hay under the melons.
8. Pay attention on the stems. The best time to harvest when the melon’s stem turns brown. This is an indication that the fruit is ready and ripe.