Besides Italian oregano, there is one variety you can grow on your garden and it is Mexican oregano. How to grow Mexican oregano and thrive well?
1. Prepare necessary items such as: paper towel, rooting hormone powder, sand, nursery pot and pruning shears.
2. Prepare a cutting from a healthy Mexican oregano plant and the best time to take is in early summer. Take about from inches from the top of a stem. Better to make the cut at a 45-degree angle and 1/4 inch right above a node.
3. Prepare a nursery pot and fill it with moist sand or use vermiculite as an alternative. Make a planting hole in the middle of the pot surface.
4. Before placing the stem into a planting hole, remove all leaves except two at the top.
5. Stimulate the growth of roots by pouring a dime-sized amount of rooting hormone powder onto a paper towel or use waxed paper square as an alternative. Take the cutting and dip the end of it into hormone powder. If there is excess powder, you can tap the cutting lightly to remove it.
6. After done with step on number five, you can stick the cutting into planting hole. Now, you can move the pot to the strategic area that receives sunlight, bright, but indirect sun.
These are six steps how to grow Mexican oregano. Remember to keep the soil stay moist.