Do you want to enjoy fresh tomatoes for free? Start to grow tomatoes at your home! Tomato plant is suitable project for beginners as it includes as one of plants that are easy to grow. Growing tomatoes for beginners won’t make you restless and confused, try following tips:
1. Go to local gardening center and buy healthy tomato seedlings, remember to avoid mature plants. Grow tomatoes from seed take a longer time.
2. If you are planting in the yard, make a raised bed. Use a nutrient-rich soil that you can buy them at nursery store. The soil must have pH between 6.0 and 7.0.
3. Warm up the soil by using black plastic, tomatoes don’t like cold weather. Make holes on the black plastic, so tomatoes can grow.
4. At the bottom of each tomato that you are planting in the ground and put a protective collar that useful to overcome cutworms.
5. Keep pests away by installing a floating row cover which also has a double function as a warmer. Put the cover during day and night, remove it after the plants start to blossom.
6. Use stakes or cages to support the growing plants.
7. Keep an eye on tomatoes regularly. Give fertilizer for one or two weeks and don’t forget watering routinely.
8. Beware with fungus or pests, do not give large amounts of water due to adversely affect the process of fertilization.