In the summertime, many people love to eat fresh fruits and one of them is watermelon. Last article, we talked growing watermelon in containers. Now, we are going to talk growing watermelon in a greenhouse. What are the steps can you do?
1. Before you plant the seeds, prepare 3-inch pots and fill them with potting soil. Let the plants grow until two real leaves rise up.
2. Remove the watermelon plants in grow bags and put them in a greenhouse.
3. Let the vines of the watermelon to climb by creating a support structure using stakes.
4. In order to support and pinch off any side shoots, it’s better to tie up the strongest shoot of the watermelon plant.
5. Make the soil stay moist by watering at the base of the plant. Avoid give water on top of the plant leaves.
6. Use a soft paintbrush to pollinate the flowers. You can do it by brushing each flower gently, the best time is in the midday.
7. After pollinating the flowers, you have to remove the male flowers after four days.
8. Ensure to maintain the humidity of the greenhouse. Don’t forget to leave a standing bucket of water near the plants especially during the day.
9. If the fruit is nearly full-size, you have to remove leaves near it. This action encourages the fruit to ripen.
Those are nine things you can do for growing watermelon in a greenhouse.