Are you tired to spend money buy garlic from the grocery store? Well, there is a way to stop it and go growing garlic in your own yard is the right answer. Not hard at all start growing garlic, even for dummies. This article explains everything you need to start growing garlic for dummies!
1. The best time to start is in late fall or early winter. Go to the nursery and buy garlic bulbs. If you live in mild climates, the best time to start is in January or February, so ready for harvest in late summer or early fall.
2. Choose a site with full sun access. Soil must have pH from 5.0 to 8.0 and acid range 6.2 to 6.8.
3. Prepare holes with depth of eight to twelve inches. Don’t forget giving compost in order to change the soil to have moisture retention, good drainage and fertility.
4. Clear out the area from any weeds.
5. Prioritize to play the largest cloves from the bulb!
6. Cover the plants with mulch and compost in order to prevent weeds and retain moisture.
7. You have to remove the mulch in spring in order to let the soil get warmed by the sun. When new growth begins, you can add a fresh layer then.
8. Make sure to give an inch of water a week, do it until the foliage turns into yellow or start falls over, this is an indication of maturity.
9. You can start harvesting when about 3/4 of the tops are turning into yellow.