Growing watermelon in small spaces isn’t impossible thing, you can try containers concept. In this case, you don’t have to buy a few pots. For people on a budget, they can try to use old buckets as alternative. There is no difference at all like using pots. Let we learn how to start growing watermelon in buckets!
1. Find a perfect area with six hours of direct sunlight every day. Put the buckets there, but fill them with one to two inches of gravel on the bottom.
2. Make holes for the seeds by using your finger. An inch deep is enough and spaced about three inches apart, put the seeds into each hole and cover with soil.
3. Please be careful to push a trellis, avoid the center that may disturbing the seeds. It’s better to put it down into the soil along one side.
4. Let the potting soil stay moist by giving water.
5. Give the soil a fertilizer monthly for steady growth.
6. Use plant ties to tie up the main vines to the trellis, this action will make the vines grow vertically.
7. Watering is really important, but you can give it twice during the high heat of summer.
Growing watermelon in buckets isn’t different with pot or planter concept. However, please pay attention to the all steps above.