Growing tomatoes in containers is a good solution for people who live in apartment or small house with limited land. Tomato is a plant that easy to grow even for a newbie gardener. How to start it?
1. Choose a container that fits well for the type of tomato that becomes your choice. However, it’s better to choose a bigger container for maximum production. Make sure to choose container build with drainage holes, if the containers don’t have any holes and please make at least four holes.
2. Now, you have to prepare gardening soil and moisture retaining material to fill up the container. Never use regular garden soil since this method can lose moisture more quickly than another method.
3. One week before planting the tomato seeds, add fertilizers to the soil. You can use compost, fish emulsion or all-purpose vegetable fertilizer.
4. There are two options to grow tomato, either buy some tomato plants or sow seeds. If you want for better results, it’s better to buy seeds by online and start with tomatoes indoors. If you want to buy tomato plants, you can get them at a local nursery and garden store.
5. Watering is important activity and make sure the plants get it well.
6. You can start harvest time when the plants have matured and bright orange. However, some varieties have a different color as a mature sign, you should check thing matter.