For newbie gardeners, choose to grow tomatoes as the first project. This plant no needs a large yard, even it can thrive well in a container concept by using a pot. Since you are a newbie gardener, this article has several steps for growing tomatoes in pots.
1. A bigger pot is better for growing tomatoes. A wide and deep pot is highly recommended since the tomato roots can spread outwards and down. You can use old buckets as containers or five-gallon pots. However, don’t forget to make drainage holes in the bottom of the containers if they aren’t available.
2. Since this is your first project, choose small tomato varieties! Choose a variety that grows only two or three feet tall such as grape and cherry tomato plants.
3. Now, you have to prepare organic soil from local nursery. Prepare extra nutrition to the soil by using a mix of organic fertilizer and oyster shells.
4. Put tomato seeds in the pot correctly.
5. Now, you have to find a strategic area to put the pots. Remember to put the pots in a full sun area and never forget to give water regularly. Don’t give water too much, it’s better to give water once every two or three days.
You can follow all five steps above for growing tomatoes in pots. If you still have a doubt, seek more references.